Friday, 7 December 2012

The Gift - Cecelia Ahern



What an absolute pleasure this was to read. I finished it within three days (only reading it at night!). Like the other two Cecelia Ahern books I’ve read in the past, I couldn’t put it down. It’s so easy to read, yet thought provoking at the same time.

The plot is about a very unlikeable main character, Lou, who is a work-a-holic, a very selfish man who does not care about his family, just about getting another promotion. He meets the mysterious Gabe, a homeless man on the street, who is very observant, and gives him a job at his company. I think, given the Christmas setting, Gabe is supposed to represent the Archangel Gabriel, and the story a very modern type of Christmas miracle.

The story is of someone who wishes he could be in two places at once, something which I’m sure we’ve all wished for, and the consequences of this wish coming true. Cecelia Ahern, again, intertwines mystery and a little dose of magic so well into reality. There’s twists and turns, uncomfortable moments (I found myself saying “Noooo!” in places!) all of which makes it so you have to know what happens and keep reading on. I cried at one point towards the end- an occurrence which is quite rare for me when reading; it really was a rollercoaster of emotions.  
 

It’s a brilliant book. I can’t stop thinking about it now that I’ve finished it, and of clever little things that fit together once you know the full story (I won’t give anything away for those that haven’t read it though).  It’s set at Christmas time which is one of the reasons I chose to read it now, and I would highly recommend buying this someone as a present- if they start reading it on Christmas day it will be finished by Boxing day evening- it’s that good!

No comments:

Post a Comment