Wednesday, 12 December 2012

My Christmas Wish List/ Books I Want to Read in 2013



1. When God was a Rabbit – Sarah Winman
- This was recommended to me by my sister Caroline and the blurb sounds very gripping! About a girl as she moves from the late 1960s to now, detailing the most pivotal moments in her life.

2. One Hundred Names – Cecelia Ahern
- I have loved every Cecelia Ahern book I’ve ever read so can’t wait to start this one! It’s about a journalist who’s boss dies and leaves her with a list of names, but no explanation.

3. East of Eden – John Steinbeck
-This was also recommended to me by my sister, Caroline, who said it was a better version of Jeffrey Archer’s ‘Kane and Abel’ – about the life of two men and the different paths they take.

4. The Uncommon Reader – Alan Bennett
- This sounds like a fun, unusual and witty book, about the Queen discovering a mobile library and books that she’s never read before!

5. The Art of Fielding - Chad Harbach
- This was recommended to me by my friend, Olly, who had this to say about it: ‘It's a kind of coming of age story, about this boy who is unusually quiet, but loves playing baseball as a shortstop and about the connections between people he meets when he goes to uni on a scholarship. It's superbly written, touching, occasionally hilarious, and quite a good illustration of modern American life’ and ‘you don't need to have ANY appreciation of baseball to enjoy it, only an appreciation of life, endeavour and human relationships’. Intriguing!

6. The House of Silk (New Sherlock Holmes Novel) - Anthony Horowitz
- A big Sherlock Holmes fan, I’ve been promised by my Dad (also a big Sherlock Holmes fan) that this is a very good book and the style is very true to Conan Doyle’s.
 
7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Ken Kesey
- I’ve seen the film to this book many times and it never fails to move me to tears, I absolutely love it so think it’s about time I read the book, which is bound to be even better!

8. Grimm’s Tales For Young and Old – Philip Pullman
-I’ve always loved fairy tales and this book looks gorgeous as well, I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

9. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
- This sounds like a mysterious and unusual book. A circus suddenly appears with a sign saying ‘Opens at Nightfall, Closes at Dawn’. It has 5 stars on Amazon and 266 reviews!

10. I’ve Got Your Number – Sophie Kinsella
-I’ve read all of Sophie Kinsella’s other books and always enjoy them! Funny, light; you need a bit of chick lit in your life from time to time!

11. The Dinner - Herman Koch
-About two couples whose sons have committed a dreadful crime, and their actions and discussions about what they are going to do next. It sounds very interesting!

12. The Long Weekend - Veronica Henry
-About a hotel in Cornwall, just one weekend, where all the guests have secrets and “baggage”. It’s got 5 stars and 98 reviews on Amazon- it’s sure to be a winner!


What do you think of my want-to-read list? Have you read any of the books mentioned- what did you think? Do you have any more recommendations?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I like the sound of them all Rosy. I have read the Rabbit one and really enjoyed that and have got one or two of the others but now have some new ones to add to my Amazon basket. The Uncommon Reader is very short and good fun, I'd definitely recommend that. Going to work on my own list now...thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great- thanks very much! Glad to hear you enjoyed those two, makes me want to read them even more now! Let me know when you have made your list- always want to hear book recommendations and discover new ones! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read one flew over the cuckoos nest too! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently it's supposed to be quite different from the film- I'm intrigued! Thanks for commenting! Rosy x

    ReplyDelete