Friday, 28 December 2012

Citadel - Kate Mosse



I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this final instalment of the Languedoc trilogy. I loved ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘Sepulchre’ and so had high hopes for ‘Citadel’.

Primarily set during the Second World War (1942 and 1944) in Carcassonne, it brings us the story of Sandrine Vidal, a French resistance fighter who, along with her sister and friends, forms the group ‘Citadel’ in order to thwart Nazi plans and actions. The story intersperses with the story of a monk from the fourth century, who is on a journey to hide a an ancient Codex which has links with a ghost army which, if found during the Second World War, could help defeat the Nazis.

It provides a great insight into life under Second World War occupied France, I certainly learnt a lot and it was good to gain a real understanding of that time. It took a little while to get into it, but I did enjoy the second half of the book more than first. Maybe slightly overlong, but towards the end I felt tense and emotional in parts; I stayed up until the early hours to finish it! The love story between Sandrine and Raoul was enjoyable to read and my heartstrings were pulled in places.

I liked how there were references to Alais and Leonie (the heroines of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘Sepulchre’) and the return of other characters from the previous novels, as it tied the series together (something which needed to be done as ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘Sepulchre’ were very different).

Overall I would describe this as ‘Good’; I enjoyed it but it was not as good as ‘Labyrinth’, nor as gripping, and I’m not sure if I would read it again, but I'm glad that I did read it. 

Has anyone else read this book? What did you think? Has anyone read Labyrinth or Sepulchre?

No comments:

Post a Comment