Friday, 9 November 2012

The Casual Vacancy - J K Rowling




 I have mixed feelings about 'The Casual Vacancy'. For the first 100 pages I was bored, disappointed and trying to work out who all of the characters were. To anyone who feels like this at the start, I have to say: please persevere as it will get better. I don't know why or how, but something about this book sucked me in. I was gripped, I found myself reading it at any spare moment (when making a cup of tea for example, I would quickly read as many pages as I could), but I cannot explain why I was gripped, or even express whether I like it or not.

Needless to say, 'The Casual Vacancy' has left a impression on me, I found myself thinking a lot about the characters when I was doing other things, and I feel moved by the story/ intertwining stories of the characters. The message I have taken from it is to not judge others too quickly and there's a lot going on behind closed doors. This book is certainly not one of my favourites, but I will be keeping it and may read it again one day (something I did not think I would feel during the beginning of the book) as it is different, unique and thought-provoking. It provides a slice of real, gritty life, whereby everyone has flaws, and explores some of the deep social problems that are easy to ignore but are very much there in our country.

So, do not compare this to Harry Potter, it's a totally different type of book, it's better to pretend it's a different author, otherwise you may be disappointed at not experiencing a similar kind of story. I urge people to read it to experience a very different and quite poignant book.

No comments:

Post a Comment