Friday, 30 November 2012

A Conspiracy Of Violence: 1: Chaloner's First Exploit in Restoration London – Susanna Gregroy



I am a big fan of historical mysteries, especially C J Sansom’s Shardlake series, so was excited about reading this book. I had hoped to fall in love with a new historical mystery, set in a different century and with a different character.

However, I quickly found that there were far too many characters, a lot of which had similar names (so many ones beginning with 'H' and 'D'!), which made the plot confusing. I constantly had to go back to previous pages to find out exactly who certain characters were.

Moreover, the ending was an anti-climax, I got to the point where I didn't really care about the mysteries he was trying to solve and I don't think there were any really exciting twists- outrageous omissions in a historical mystery series. The ending was very abrupt and the storyline started to annoy me, so I finished it feeling unsatisfied and upset with certain characters.

A far cry from C J Sansom’s Shardlake series, I am still on the lookout for a new historical mystery series to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment